Sunday, March 27, 2011

Utah Legislature Theme Song

I wanted to post this a while ago, and I'm a little late considering the 2011 Utah legislative session is over for the year. However, I was reminded of this song today while reading a quote from Representative Carl Wimmer of Herriman:

"Utah is a very traditional, conservative state, where we believe in the Second Amendment right to bear arms," said Wimmer. "Guns are a big part of our state tradition. If you think of the Mormon Pioneers, I mean, they came into the valley holding a plow in one hand, and a gun in the other. Guns are a tool, nothing else but a tool."
Honestly, that's not really what comes to mind when I think of Mormon Pioneers (usually it's the John Roe Moyle handcart statue).


But I can see it now; next session, all babies and other new residents of the state get a free gun and plow (except for undocumented aliens of course). This would be a logical extention from the folks who got rid of those pesky gun permits, allow you to bring guns to school parking lots, and shoot feral animals.

In regards to the feral animals law, a co-worker of mine who attended the hearing told me that it was passed after the sponsor reported that they needed to act quickly in order to allow ranchers to defend themselves against a wild pack of boars that have been leaving a trail of destruction across the Southwest! And they are coming to Utah! I tried looking up any reports of this wild band of pigs on the internet, but couldn't find anything at the time. This leads me to the conclusion that either the pigs left absolutely no survivors behind, or the legislator was lying. Either way, we are in a lot of trouble...

Anyway, without further adieu, I present my officially-unofficial 2011 Utah Legislature Theme Song, Glorified G by Pearl Jam!




Here's another fun cartoon on this and other issues from the session:

No comments: